Toughen Up! Kettlebell and Body Weight Workout
This is the workout I did on Friday morning and it is a killer! I have been working since then so I haven’t had a chance to upload it until now.
Lately I have been trying to think of more exciting ways to design my workouts to prevent me getting bored with “rounds”, so I quite enjoyed the way I designed this one!
As most of you know I try to train heavy in the gym 1 or 2 days a week and then I do these workouts 2 or 3 times per week to supplement my training; so I am using my home workouts for my conditioning/cardio training right now. However, it is possible to build strength with these types of workouts too, especially if you are a beginner or have recently changed to this sort of training. In addition to building strength and stability, you stand to burn more calories from Kettlebell training. Besides, they are just plain fun!
As an extension to my warm up, I added in 3 sets of Turkish Get Ups x 2 reps each side progressing from 14kg to 20kg. In the video I show part of my final set.
For the main workout there are 3 sections of 5 exercises. Setting my Gymboss Interval Timer for 10 cycles of 15 seconds recovery and 45 seconds effort, I performed 2 rounds of each section before moving on to the next section. Feel free to do more if you wish.
In between each section, I performed pull ups.
My reps per exercise and weights used are in brackets below:
- Goblet Squat (20kg) (17, 14)
- Two-Sumo Squat Jump + Burpee (11, 9.5)
- Single Arm KB Row (right) (16kg) (15, 14)
- Single Arm KB Row (left) (16kg) (15, 15)
- Two-Handed KB Swing (20kg) (31, 31)
Pull Up x 3 poop!
- Double KB Alternating Reverse Lunge (or if you only have 1 KB, do Goblet hold reverse lunges) (2 x 16kg) (14, 10)
- Dynamic Squat with Diagonal Touch Down (32, 30)
- KB Push Press (right) (14kg) (13, 12)
- KB Push Press (left) (14kg) (14, 12)
- KB Alternating Swing (20kg) (25, 24)
Pull Ups x 3
- Vertical Swing Burpee (20kg) (11, 10)
- Bench Jump Overs (96ish, 90 something)
- Stand-Kneel-Stand (right) (16kg) (15.5, 13.5)
- Stand-Kneel-Stand (left) (16kg) (16, 14.5)
- Heavier Two-Handed KB Swing (24kg) (27, 27)
No more pull ups left in me! Found them a real challenge for some reason when I did this workout. Some days you do better at things than others, so it’s just the way it goes! Maybe I was just tired from Monday’s mental pull ups and the thicker bar was a challenge as always.
Hope you all enjoy this workout and the design. Have fun!