Myomy Monkey Workout by Jen Sinkler

Hey everyone,

First a little update on my back issues. I now know that it is what I originally thought … SI Joint! After seeing a specialist in London last week, he was able to scan me and see that I have bilateral Sacro-ilitis.  The good news is that I AM allowed, and SHOULD, continue to strength train “within reason”. This means work on movements I know don’t bother the joint too much and focus on mobility and being sensible with the weight.  The hardest task for me right now is walking! I have been back in the gym squatting, deadlifting, hip thrusting, doing pull ups etc this week (with lighter loads), and I even managed some KB Swings with a lighter KB 😀 However, the major difficulty remains when I do any unilateral stuff (hence the issues walking).  So swimming, stairmaster and cycling are all out for the time-being. But I don’t care about those options, because I can still lift. When I lift, it feels better and better, so I know it will only be a matter of time before I am walking pain-free!

So I am very happy as things are improving.  And I am making it my mission to be 100% healthy!

I hope to be back on the workout “saddle” very soon 😀

That’s my little update out of the way, now let’s see what’s in store for you from this week’s guest Trainer.

Photo by: Rubinstein Photo

Following the success of last week’s guest workout by Kellie Davis, today we have a brand new one from Jen Sinkler.

This is a short and sweet workout with minimal equipment (1 Kettlebell and your Gymboss Interval Timer on Stopwatch mode) … and you will need a bit of space.

The video says it all, but for those who like to print my workouts, here’s the written breakdown:

Complete 3 rounds of the following 5 exercises:

1. KB Snatch Lunge (right) x 10 reps
  2. KB Snatch Lunge (left) x 10 reps
  3. KB/DB Bent Over Row (right) x 10 reps
  4. KB/DB Bent Over Row (left) x 10 reps
  5. Monkey Shuffle x 10 Metres (you could do 5m each way if you have less space)

Hope you all like this one … I personally can’t wait to try the Snatch Lunge and Monkey Shuffle!

Feel free to leave your feedback 🙂

Tags: , , , , ,

1. […] now – a great workout from Marianne at myomytv in the form of a guest post thanks to Jen Sinkler! Click on the […]

2. Fermin says:

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your sites really nice, keep
    it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back
    in the future. Many thanks

3. Hector Hernandez says:

Love your KB workouts. I modify and add heavier KB to wo’s. these wo’s help my BJJ very much!!

4. Rachel says:

Hiya

I’m struggling to do the snatch lunge with an 8kg should i replace it with a snatch only in this workout? Thanks

5. Luther says:

Your style is really unique in comparison to other people
    I’ve read stuff from. I appreciate you for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I will just bookmark this blog.

6. […] now – a great workout from Marianne at myomytv in the form of a guest post thanks to Jen Sinkler! Click on the […]

7. Bonnie says:

Just tried this workout today! LOVED it…the monkey shuffle was tiring and SUCH a great move I’ll be incorporating with clients. Really liked the Lunge & Snatch too – thanks so much, Jen & Marianne!

8. Lisl says:

Loved the monkey hustle!!!!! More more more from Jen! 🙂

9. theresareno says:

Awesome workout, just did it and dripping sweat!!!!! Just got my KB for my b-day which is today!!! go 31! I bonked my head once, but was able to do whole workout without modifying! Thanks!\
    theresa

10. Top Good Reads of the Week: Edition 9 | LaVack Fitness says:

[…] Conditioning, Part 1 – Steve Reed Joint-Friendly Conditioning, Part 2 – Steve Reed Myomy Monkey Workout – Jen Sinkler How to Build an Adjustable Squat Box – Kellie Davis Single Limb Circuits – Harold […]

11. […] Myomy Monkey Workout by Jen Sinkler […]

12. Tony b says:

I hate lunges, i hate snatches….but somehow im intrigued with the snatch lunge…it looks like it makes sense to do those two movements in one. Gonna try this one right now…thanks for the guest tutorials! Not that i dont love your workouts marianne, but if i gotta do another walking plank or side to side, someones gonna get a kettlebell to the noggin! Hahaha. Its always good to get some fresh ideas. Great job, Jen!

13. Naomi(onefitfoodie) says:

so great to hear the news about your back! only upwards from here 🙂

thanks for sharing the workout, Jen!! love KB’s and always working on form>weight for me…so much technique and I am working on that each time I use them!!

14. Gert says:

Hey Marianne,

I have no comment but a “beautifull” tip,… for you and al the girls who attent to this blog.. As you wrote : However, the major difficulty remains when I do any unilateral stuff (hence the issues walking). So swimming, stairmaster and cycling are all out for the time-being !!!

So, I’m watching the olympic plays this week and for now my most favorit game to watch are…. : The “beach-volleybal—-GIRLS–.

I don’t know if the sport selects or favors the most well shaped girls on the plays untill now… Or if the sport itself shapes the girls… Or if they do particular training…

What do you think !!!????

Or is it just the clothing !!!??? I should almost say.. forget the kettlebells !!! JUmp into the sand.. Go play !!! Get-ups are ben done a lot… wihout kelttlebells.. but with speed.. !! I think that equals !!! It’s very atletic !!

I’m sorry for you marianne…. I don’t think it’s bi-lateral.. Although.. They jump with both feet at the same time mostly..

Just a tip..

Gert,

I read a very interesting article that relates very well to your comment. Check it out:

http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/confront-your-assumptions/. You’ll get my point 🙂

• Gert says:

Yes that’s a very good article Marianne.

I must say that my comment was sort of kicking in an open door… But it is nice to look at the olympics and look at the differences between the body’s at the different sports… But no, I don’t jump to conclusions…

Doug mcGuff, writer of the book : “Bodybyscience” talks about : “The mistake of the swimmersbody”‘

In this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-ufSYBcZa0 he talk about it.

But… The fact is still on the table… Alllllllll the beachvolleybal-girls are awesome !!! A breath of delight.. Beatifull teint from the sun (fact).. Slender body’s. Very jumpy-athletic..

Looking at the weightlifting-girls !!!!!!!!! That’s another league of it’s own !!!

But, don’t jump to conclusions.. Jump to the net !!!

haha

See you at the beach

But, maybe go the weightliftingroom first ???? Perhaps.. Not nescessary

15. Nina says:

Great workout (and a perfect length for a busy day) Those snatch lunges were killer; glad I went with 12kg, rather than 16.
    I also loved Jen’s superhero workout posted on Facebook – would love more please!

16. Nina P says:

Great workout – those snatch lunges were killer; glad I went with 12kg, rather than 16.
    AND – loved Jen’s superhero workout posted on Facebook – would love more please!

17. snowbaby says:

awesome, awesome workout Jen! Thanks Marianne, much appreciated, that snatch/lunge is invigorating!

18. Penny says:

The monkey hustle looks fun! Must try! Altho not sure how that’ll feel on my bum shoulder…

Marianne..happy to hear you are back at the to lifting. Now you know what the issue at hand is, you can work around it! Bet that’s a good feeling.

Happy Training!

monkey hustle looks like a lot of fun. Glad you are feeling better, it was nice to see your face again it’s been a while.

Aw thank you Mickela, you’re very sweet to say that 🙂 Let’s hope next week I’ll be fit to do a new workout *fingers crossed* In the meantime hope you enjoy this one!

20. Kellie Davis says:

Fabulous news for your back! I am so happy that you figured out the issue and are well on your way to healing.

And woohooo for having Jen post a workout. This is great and I can’t wait to try it. I just need a gym boss timer.

Thanks for thing, ladies!