My Training Journal 5 | Week of 26th March
Hope you all had a lovely Easter! I spent the day getting workout-killed by my friend and Training Partner! Instead of doing my usual style of training, I went with his style (more geared toward hypertrophy) and my legs are dead today … hence no workout LOL! I will post what we did in the next installment of My Training Journal (since I am running a week behind).
Other news; I have officially become part of a new team based here in Belfast. You will see a lot more from me and Ironfit in the not too distant future. Being part of this team here will help me in becoming a fully fledged Trainer, so I can finally go with my passion! Don’t fret though, because myomytv is my baby and is going nowhere. Same goes for GGS … but a girl needs many strings to her bow, so I am making a commitment to all 3 avenues as they all neatly tie in to one common thread … Strength and Conditioning! I want to bring S&C to a new level here and I want to be part of the best team. You can follow Ironfit on Facebook, and soon you will discover more of who we are and what we stand for! ***suspense***
Now for the training Log
Monday - heat wave week (seems so long ago now)
I spent 2 hours 30 mins or so hiking up the Cavehill in Belfast. Beautiful!
Tuesday – another hot day!
Wednesday- Even hotter day … I miss you!!
Bret Contreras had emailed me to ask if I would record 2 types of swings for an upcoming T-Nation article he is writing (so FYI, I will be on T-Nation ). He wanted a Hip Hinge Swing (the type I do now), and a Squat-style (which is not the best use of the swing). It took me AGES to try and unlearn my hip hinge to get enough of a squat to see any difference. Doing all these clips with 24kg, was rather taxing, so all I did after that was a little 12 min HIIT workout of the following:
3 rounds of 4 exercises at 45 seconds effort and 15 seconds rest:
- Jump Rope
- Plank Climbers
- Dynamic Squat
- Front Squats (onto a box): SET 1: 35kg x 15 reps, SET 2: 40kg x 10kg, SET 3: 45kg x 8 reps, SET 4: 50kg x 6 reps, SET 5: 55kg x 2 reps, SET6: Back to 40kg x 6 rep (quad death).
- Good-Mornings: SET 1: 35kg x 10 reps, SET 2: 40kg x 10 reps, SET 3: 45kg x 8 reps
- Neutral Pull Ups: 8, 7, 6
- Dips: 10, 8, 8
- Seated Cable Rows: 3 SETS of 10 reps with 40kg
- Push Ups: 15, 14, 12
- 20 minutes STEADY cardio
- Sumo Deadlifts – SET 1: 70kg x 5 reps, SET 2: 80kg x 5 reps, SET 3: 90kg x 5 reps, SET 4: 100kg x 3 singles, SET 5: 105kg x 2 singles.
- Glute Bridges – 3 SETS of 12 reps with 100kg
- Back Squat (low box) – SET 1: 40kg x 8 reps, SET 2: 50kg x 8 reps, SET 3: 60kg x 4 reps, SET 4: 65kg x 3 reps, SET 5: 70kg x 1
- Bench Press (no spotter ) – SET 1: 30kg x 10 reps, SET 2: 35kg x 8 reps, SET 3: 40kg x 4 reps … ran out of confidence as I didn’t want to get hurt. You’ll see I did much better this week!
- Chin Ups: 3 sets of 7
Was meant to be a rest day, but in the morning I headed out in the car to a nice location for a walk (what irony), and I ended up down at the athletics track. I had a KB in the back of the car, so I did a mix of Swings, Snatches (yes, snatches), Single-Leg DLs, Burpees, Squats and Clean & Press! Was great!
That’s about it everyone. I’ll be back soon with a new killer workout.