Legs and Glutes| Body Weight and Kettlebell Workout

Hey everyone,

After the weekend I have given myself 2 full days of rest and I am giving myself today to allow my grip, forearms and my poor hand extra recovery so I can resume my heavy lifting asap. I thought I would start by introducing a workout that includes some Body Weight principles and the KB Swing, but I couldn’t even do the KB Swing for any more than 30 seconds LOL, so I had to swap it out for some other exercise. It may not seem like much has changed, but I feel a shift towards some new designs and combos coming our way πŸ˜‰

As you know I prefer short bursts of intense activity during my workouts and this is a great method for training in general as it is highly effective for improving your strength, conditioning and body composition in a more efficient way. However, one aspect of training I always neglect (along with flexibility) is endurance. With that in mind I feel I can use the KB skills from the weekend to include some longer duration exercises, like the Snatch … YES I said Snatch!

From the IKFF Workshop, I learned that the KB Swing is more of a gateway exercise to the clean and snatch. Although an effective exercise on its own, I want to begin to introduce the Single Arm Swing in preparation to the other KB lifts that I often ignore. In fact, I have been getting it the wrong way round in that I have used the Clean mainly as a way to get the KB into the rack position and that’s all! I will be using it more in combinations and drills to get the true benefits of full body KB exercises and fine-tuning our skills. What I mean is using the KB Clean to lead on to Presses/Push Presses/Jerks. With these types of Combos, it is best to work towards endurance.

I will still use the separate elements in my workouts, but I will also include more challenging lifts, especially for the benefit of those who enjoy Long Cycles!

For today’s workout I decided to include some challenging lower body combinations. These include longer intervals, higher reps, faster reps and plyometrics. Unfortunately I cannot replicate the exercises that Steve Cotter taught us at the weekend, as I need to consider beginners, but I am wanting to introduce some basic principles of his training methods. Plus for some of the tumbles and things I need a large padded room … and not because I’m crazy πŸ˜‰

For me, I set my Gymboss Interval Timer for one interval of 1 min, to count down for all the timed exercises. I have suggested a range of times and reps to draw attention to that fact that not everyone will have the same fitness level, so work to your own ability. But don’t forget to challenge yourself too.

The workout has 4 sections. Each section has 3 or 4 exercises, mixing Body Weight (mainly) and Kettlebells. The aim is to complete 2 rounds of each section before moving on.

1. Body Weight Squat (increase the pace every 10 reps) x 20 – 50 reps (50, 50)
  2. KB High Deficit Reverse Lunge (left) x 30 – 60 seconds (16kg – 18, 17)
  3. KB High Deficit Reverse Lunge (right) x 30 – 60 secs (16kg – 18, 17)
  1. *Single-Leg Hip Thrust (left) x 12 – 20 reps (20,20)
  2. *Single-Leg Hip Thrust (right) x 12 – 20 reps (20, 20)
  3. Squat Jump Tucks / Dynamic Squats / Crazy Bench Jumps x 30 – 60 secs (didn’t count)
  1. **Single-Leg Squat (left) x 6 – 12 reps or 3 – 5 full pistols (12, 12)
  2. **Single-Leg Squat (right) x 6 – 12 reps (12, 12)
  3. Side to Side Step Ups x 30 – 60 secs (63, 58)
  1. Single-leg Stability Ball Curl (left) x 8 – 15 reps (15, 15)
  2. Single-leg Stability Ball Curl (right) x 8 – 15 reps (15, 15)
  3. Stand-Kneel-Stand (left) x 30 – 60 secs (BW or KB, advance by holding KB overhead haha!) (12kg, 14kg – 22, 19)
  4. Stand-Kneel-Stand (right) x 30 – 60 secs (12kg, 14kg – 23, 18.5)

Now cool down, STRETCH and rehydrate πŸ™‚

* Please ensure you perform the appropriate variation of this exercise for your ability. See my Glute Bridge to Hip Thrust Progression Tutorial for more guidance, if you are unsure.

** Use your rear leg for support and balance and only lower to a level where you can stand back up. Whether this is a quarter or half of the way down, that is fine.Β  This is a very challenging squat because you require a lot of stability through the ankles, knees and hips in addition to adequate strength, mobility and flexibility. So there are many elements coming together here – so take this one slow! NOTE: The higher the bench the greater the range of movement.

I found this workout to be very challenging. The single-leg squats are a great exercise, but I find when I do full pistols, they flare up my SI Joint pain. So I know I need to work on my flexibility and avoid full range of movement in the meantime. All in all, I really enjoyed the change of pace today – especially the jumps πŸ˜€

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Maria in Texas says:

I tried a few of these exercises after 30 minutes of upper body KB snatches, high swings, high pulls and cleans. I foolishly thought I could give my lower body a “little” workout. I did the high deficit reverse lunges, squats, single leg hip thursts, plie squats, and stand kneel stand. I performed 1 circuit of each. I believe I performed the exercises correctly as I felt my glutes curl up and turn in a hard tennis ball. While performing the stand kneel stand exercises I felt my heart beating loudly in in chest. Sneaky devils!! I now know to make a few adjustments for my next workout. Thanks this one is a killer!

oh oh this one is going to kill me. I will make this one my first workout in my new home where I can jump around without a care in the world. it is 100 degrees F in NYC sweltering hot the sidewalk is emanating heat, no crazy cardio for me. swim.

3. Aliona says:

This looks like an awesome workout πŸ™‚ Already feeling “itchy” to do it πŸ˜€

That’s so unfair, each time you post a new workout, I immediately want to do it, LOL But I always have some other myomy workouts already scheduled in my notebook… so, this one goes to the list of β€œTo Do” πŸ™‚

How is your hand? Hope it is healing fast and soon you will be able to play more with KBs

PS: Speaking of weather… we got a heat wave – it is +45C for the past few days (with humidity index). Not easy to train at home these days… Want some heat? πŸ™‚

Cheers,
    Ali

Ali, I am totally jealous of your heat wave – although it’s nice here this weekend too. But of course I am working and will miss most of it!

Hand is healing well, thanks – but my grip is STILL tired lol. Must suck it up at some point!!

You must have some list … mine you, there are A LOT of workouts on here πŸ˜€

4. Jeff says:

This workout killed m legs. You are evil my dear!!!

5. Amanda says:

OOH Mariane,
    I can’t wait to try this one! However, yesterday was my first trip to the gym to do some heavy lower body lifting. So, this workout will have to wait a day or two, since I am a little sore. I was shocked how strong my glutes were for the weighted bridge. 175lbs for 8 reps. Thanks to you, and all your single leg hip thrusts (and regression tutorial)! πŸ™‚ Anyway, just had to pat myself on the back for a min. I can’t wait for the new challenge, and I am looking forward to those crazy jumps! Love it! Keep it up!

Amanda

ps-I would love to send you a picture of my son (Miles) as a Kettlebell. Where would be the best place to do that?

Nice job Amanda!! 175lbs πŸ˜€ That’s great to hear, go you!

You could send me the picture either to my email mvk_82@hotmail.com, or post it in the forum, if you don’t mind others seeing it πŸ™‚

Miles the famous KB Kid πŸ˜‰

6. Gina says:

Hey Marianne – my SI joint also hurts whenever I do pistols. Why is this?!?!? Makes me crazy.
    Thanks for another great workout.

I’m not 100% sure Gina, but I think it has to do with the greater rounding of the lower back and added pull on the pelvis by tight hip flexors or hamstrings?? But not exactly sure πŸ™ Sorry. All I know is that if they flare that up, it’s best not to do them too much. That’s why I opted to do partials in this workout. There’s nothing worse than being put out of action by SI Joint pain :-/

7. amy says:

ooh I LOVE those jumpy things. I’m sick… annoying!! Definitely going to do those jumps when I’m up to it!

Poor you Amy! Sorry to hear you’re sick πŸ™ The Jumps are crazy hard! I love them though and I’m going to put them in again πŸ˜€ Coz I’m evil like that haha!

Take care

8. Cynthia says:

Your excitement is contagious πŸ˜‰ This was yet another fantastic sweatfest. It is my Hubby’s Bday so I must be brief, but thank you once again! I already can’t wait for the next workout and post!!

9. Slavka says:

I love the design of this new workout. It is a good thing to switch from short intensity to endurance workout.

I am also very much looking forward to future videos….perhaps on flexiblity or mobility drills?

On the other hand, your butt definitely has a great shape and something to be jealous off but in todays video I noticed your amazingly shaped shoulders and arms.

Your hard work is definitely paying off.

Thanks Slavka! That’s a great idea for future videos – I did learn a few new drill for mobility at the workshop.

That’s a total bonus btw about my shoulders! πŸ˜€ All of this training has many great bonuses, that I wasn’t even aiming for!
      Same can happen to anyone else!

• Penny says:

I was thinking the same thing Slavka. Marianne, your shoulders/arms are amazing! Can’t wait to give this workout a try. Will have to wait till later since it’s 90 degrees and humid outside (where we do our workouts). Altho that’d make for a good sweat fest for sure! ~Looking forward to the new designs/combos!

Why is it never that warm here πŸ™ We’re lucky if it’s 65 here!! Today it was only 60 – and that’s summer!

Thanks Penny for the compliment πŸ™‚