As usual, I have little time to talk about this workout. The plan was to lighten my weights and aim for max reps but, as it turned out this workout required a more controlled approach and I didn’t lighten the weight so much, but tried to do each rep with good form and concentration. As I explain in the video, the Single Leg Deadlift is an exercise to be performed under control to reap the benefits.
The workout is interval based, but I probably could’ve played about with the times, but all the same the sweat was pouring off me and I got a real burn, which was good. My reps per exercise are in brackets below along with my little key to explain whether my exercises are cardio (c), resistance (r), strength (s), plyometric (p), stabilising (st) or, core activating exercises (cae). I set my Gymboss Interval Timer for 24 cycles of 20 seconds recovery and 40 seconds effort. I completed 3 rounds of the following 8 exercises:
- KB Front Squat into Press/Thruster into Reverse Lunge (right) (s,c,cae,p,st) (6,5,4)
- KB Front Squat into Press/Thruster into Reverse Lunge (left) (s,c,,cae,p,st) (6,4,4)
- KB Alternating Swing (c,r,cae) (26,23,24)
- Double KB Row (s,r,cae) (17,14,13)
- KB Single Leg Deadlift (right) (s,st,cae) (9,8,6)
- KB Single Leg Deadlift (left) (s,st,cae) (10,8,5)
- KB Vertical Swing Burpee (s,r,cae,p,c) (11,9,8)
- KB Tricep Push Up (s,cae,st) (14,13,11)
During the first exercise I started off doing some squat to press, rather than thrusters, but I couldn’t seem to stop myself doing thrusters LOL, I wanted to make this more difficult by stopping before the press action, but seems I had a mental block today 😉 It happens to us all!
Give this workout a try and let me know if you like it. I thought when I scanned over it at the end that all the exercises used only one KB, but then I noticed the Double Rows. Obviously you can do single rows if you only have one KB, but remember to change your timer to include 25 cycles 🙂 Oh and if your KB is not stable enough to do a close grip press up on, then just do it on the floor – no chickening out!
I will be back VERY soon for another new workout!