Kettlebell Sumo DeadLift – Exercise Tutorial
Following on from the Kettlebell DeadLift Tutorial, the Sumo Deadlift will exercise more into the glutes and inner thigh. The main differences are the stance, the foot position and the position of the Kettlebell.
- Stand over the Kettlebell with a stance wider than shoulder width and the feet turned well out (further than a squat)
- Sit back using the hips and knees (under control, keeping the core tight).
- With the back upright and the shoulders back and down, reach down and grip the kettlebell/kettlebells (over hand grip).
- Using the glutes, quads and inner thigh muscles, squeeze and stand tall, lifting the kettlebell up. The arms stay straight and hang down.
- At the top of the movement, squeeze the glutes and ensure the shoulders have not rounded forward with the weight they are holding.
- Keep the head looking forward in line with the spine.
- During the upward phase of the lift ensure the knees do not bow inward by tightening the quads and push the knees down and out.
- Use the upward phase of the exercise to really activate the glutes by squeezing them throughout.
- Watch the weight does not pull you forward, keep the movement up and down.
This is a great exercise to use to work on other areas of the legs. The inner thigh is often problematic for most females, and I have found great results using it. The other benefit is, you can afford to use a heavier weight as you have a wide stable base and, you are not relying on upper body strength – although this exercise will also work your grip and upper back muscles.
Have fun and be safe