Home Strength Workout with Evil Tabata!
Yes it’s me; I am alive! I took a little break from blogging, hope you don’t mind
So a few of you have been wanting to find more of my strength workouts on here, so I have done this one to make it a little easier in the meantime as I try to re-organise all my workouts.
The frustrating thing about this workout was that I had it filmed already on Thursday and then I accidently deleted the files on Friday night (after a couple of vinos) So I had to re-film it on Saturday. I couldn’t face sitting and editing it, so I gave myself today to work on the blog! It’s very frustrating when this sort of thing happens – I am glad I had the wine to keep me chilled LOL!
Anyway, you will see from the exercises here that there is nothing “special” or fancy about them. In fact, for the most part, these exercises (or variations of them) are all you need in your program. To get stronger just progress the weight. But also remember that your “lighter” work with KBs will assist your strength gains because you are always working on the same movement patterns, full range of movement, your flexibility, mobility, stability and correct muscular activation etc. There are so many improvements you can make to your strength by these home workouts alone
Rather than doing sets, I decided on rounds of set reps (within a range). The rep range that I have suggested may differ from your own. It is fine to do more or less reps than what I suggest, as long as you are being challenged by the exercise.
Also remember that where I have two KBs, you can do the same exercise with one. And for those who don’t have a pull up bar, just leave that out for now. I would recommend getting a pull up bar if you intend on training at home.
Complete 3 rounds of the following 6 exercises. My completed reps and weights used are in brackets. (And, I only did 2 rounds – bad me!).
- Double KB Front Squat into Double Military Press x 5 – 10 reps (with 2x14kg – 8 ) (with 2x16kg – eventually 3 presses then 3 with double jerks) – my vertical press needs a lot of work these days!
- Double KB Single-Leg Deadlift (right) x 6 – 12 reps (with 2x16kg – 10 ) (with 2x20kg – 5 then 1)
- (Left) – same everything, but felt a lot harder.
- Pull Ups x just under your max (5, 5) – these are feeling better!
- Close Grip Push Ups x your max (19, 18 )
- Double KB Bent Over Row x 8 – 15 (2x16kg – 13) (2x20kg – 5 then 3 more) – tough jump of 8kg in this exercise!
Evil is right !! Set your Gymboss Interval Timer for 8 cycles of 10 seconds recovery and 20 seconds MAX effort. Complete 4 rounds of the following 2 exercises:
- Two-Handed KB Swing (24kg)
- Squat Jumps
Two rounds plus Tababa, I think, took me about 30. But I was bad and didn’t time it – sorry!
Let me know how you did