Exercise, Fitness, Workout Playground – Kettlebells Outdoors !

On account of the BEAUTIFUL weather here, I wanted to do something outside. What started as me going to practice some new Kettlebell exercises turned into an Exercise, Fitness, Workout Playground LOL! Practically all of my equipment made a journey out to my back garden and it turned into a proper workout.

Also, because today is also a beautiful one, I am going to be brief, as I want to enjoy the sunshine before I go back to work tonight 🙁 boo!

Now on with the workout. Sorry i advance for the poor sound level on the video. There was some sort of building work going on across the road and it would’ve been very annoying on video, so I turned the mic down. Was thinking about adding some music, but I wouldn’t get any revenue from that video then on YouTube and, while I will never make a fortune, every little helps – in keeping this all going 🙂

Workout Breakdown

The first section is based on set reps and the second is Tabata.

Complete 3 rounds of the following:

1. Heavy High Deficit Reverse Lunge (right) x 5 reps (I used 20kg or 24 kg)
  2. Heavy High Deficit Reverse Lunge (left) x 5 reps (I used 20kg or 24 kg)
  3. Pull Ups x 3 – 5 reps (eek these were tough)
  4. Two-Handed Kettlebell Swing x 15 reps (using 24kg)
  5. Clapping Push Ups x 5 reps
  6. Single-Leg Hip Thrust (right) x 15 reps
  7. Single-Leg Hip Thrust (left) x 15 reps
  8. Heavy Kettlebell Jerk (right) x 5 reps (20kg)
  9. Heavy Kettlebell Jerk (left) x 5 reps (20kg)

Now for the Tabata, set your Gymboss Interval Timer for 8 cycles of 10 second rest and 20 seconds MAX effort and complete 2 rounds of the following 4 exercises:

1. Jump Rope (High Knees)
  2. Burpees (minus Push Up)
  3. Side to Side Step Ups
  4. Dynamic Squats

I really enjoyed this workout as I got to practice some strength work, some skill work with the Jerks and, then some calorie burning (need to after all the big feeds I been having, and it kind of shows – ah well). So all in all, this workout is great for everything except endurance (which suits me haha).

Exercise, Fitness and Workout Playground is a great mix of kettlebell and body weight strength and conditioning training with the added torture of fat-burning tabata.  Let me know what you think of this workout, if you dare to try it (evil laugh).

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Great variety of exercises! I always tell people they need a variety for best results…

Here is Valery Fedorenko’s demo of the KB jerk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6QBIt_J3pg

I did this workout last night I liked it a lot and it hurt a lot so therefore am a sucker for pain.
    Completed 3 rounds of the following:

Heavy High Deficit Reverse Lunge (right) x 5 reps (I used 16kg and 12 kg)

Heavy High Deficit Reverse Lunge (left) x 5 reps (I used 16kg and 12 kg)

Pull Ups x 3 reps my pull up set up is bad so the next 2 rounds I did 3 rows each side with 20kg

Two-Handed Kettlebell Swing x 15 reps (using 20kg)

regular Push Ups with arms close to body x 5 reps

Single-Leg Hip Thrust (right) x 15 reps

Single-Leg Hip Thrust (left) x 15 reps

long cycle Jerk (right) x 10 reps (12kg)

long cycle Jerk (left) x 10 reps (12kg)

cleans 10 reps each side using (16kg)

it took 31:25 with rests in between. I did not do the tabata I am doing a long run tomorrow and felt after Friday’s hell with trainer and all the sailing my body needs to take it easy.

I was doing them right! 😀

Are you loving the Hip thrusts as much as me?! Nice workout!

• Mickela says:

I really like the hip thrusts. I am going to try them with weights at the gym. I really feel a difference on the strength of my upper legs and glutes especially on the boat when we are healing and I really need balance.

I LOVE them!! Speaking of Glutes, Bret and Kellies have a Free e-book report out about how to get great glutes, and it goes through a bunch of exercises that work best, work ok and don’t work. I downloaded it and it has a lot of great info. You might like it too. http://getglutes.com/. Plus it’s free 😀

• Adam says:

Please don’t remind my of Kellie’s glutes, or what they are attached to. I am still trying to recover my composure after watching that video. Too, too much, lol 😀

Now this is what I call a workout. looking good on the jerks Marianne. those are tough, and with 20kg yaaargh! you are a beast.
    I agree with all the comments here that you look great.

I am really enjoying your posts lately. I can’t wait to move and to be able to workout outside in my own backyard.
    This could very well be my Tuesday evilness workout.

Thanks Mickela, though for some reason Bret thought they were push presses 🙁 Thought I did an ok job … at least to the point you’d know they were jerks LOL I think I prefer Jerks to PP’s now.

Whe is it you move? You must be so excited to get away from that workout party-pooper girl downstairs 😛 Ha – I might just use that name now for all my Tuesday workouts “Tuesday Evilness” 😀 I like it!

• Tom says:

Marianne, what is the technical difference between a “push press” and a “jerk”? I don’t have a powerlifting background, and I always thought a jerk was when the legs “split” on the overhead press — that is one leg goes forward and the other goes back like in a split squat — then you effectively stand up with feet together to complete the lift.

PS — I’ve been trying to get signed up on the forum but for reasons unknown, my login hasn’t been activated??

Hi Tom,

With the push press you dip push up, straighten and catch with a seconds dip. With the Jerk you dip push until the KB, barbell (or whatever) is at about eye or forehead height then you dip under the weight, locking out the arm before standing up. You can handle a heavier weight for the Jerk because you dip under rather than pushing the weight up to lockout. When you stand up with the weight in the Jerk, you have already locked out.

The Jerk you are talking about is the Split-Jerk, often uses in Olympic Weight-Lifting. There are many variations of Jerks, but essentially the principles remain the same. Two dips before you straighten. There’s a little more co-ordination involved, especially if you are used to the Push Press 🙂

There is a massive list of names for the forum to be activated and loads are clearly SPAM, will you tell me your user name and I’ll fish it out of the pile?

4. tommy says:

Hi,
    Good work. I’ve been following your workouts for the past 4 months and feeling really good about myself. You are definitely a strong woman and you have got a lot of core strength. I get tired just by looking at you. Do you also visit a gym regularly apart from this? If you can, please also show us a video of your workout in a gym on equipments like treadmill etc.

Hi Tommy, The only type of training I do in the gym is resistance-based … no treadmill, no stationary bike, no cardio machines, just the barbell, the dumbbell, the cables, dip station etc etc – the results speak for themselves. If I was to recommend the type of cardio to do, it would be Kettlebell conditioning, or High Intensity Interval training.

The gym where I do my training do not allow camera’s anymore, but I have access to another strength gym. Once I get a camera man, I will film one of my sessions there to show you what else you can do 🙂

5. ab cd says:

I like your workouts a lot and would definitely like you to do more of these. Good to see you working so hard and taking so much of pain. You are very fit and toned and your waist and abs are tight. All this inpires me to workout more and regularly.

6. Maria says:

Marianne,

Hi. Workout looks great. I am still working on some of the other workouts, but eventually I will get to this one. Lately it sounds like you have been down on yourself. Don’t!!! Whatever it is that you are going through, it to will pass. We all go through tough situations in our lives but that is what makes us stronger. Stay positive. I agree with Cindy your back looks great. Thanks for all your hard work.

Maria

Thanks Maria, Guess I have been quite hard on myself lately, but hopefully things will pass and a brighter side of me will emerge again 🙂 Hope it won’t affect the morale around here.

Your comment has cheered me up, so thank you 😀

• Maria says:

Marianne,

No. I really enjoy your site. I just wanted to give you some encouraging words thats all. You are stronger than you think you are. And if you are ever in Southern California, we can grab a cup of coffee and chit chat. lol.lol.lol…

P.S. I made a copy of the pic. of your back to keep me motivated.

thanks,

Maria

Thanks Maria, will keep you in mind anytime I travel 🙂

Aw what a compliment, you copying my pict ! I hope it does keep you motivated – thank you SO much 😀

7. Adam says:

Boshed-out this bad-boy before sun-up in a PJ garden blast! My neighbours stay well clear of me on the street, :-). I used a swiss ball (back) and Reebok bench (feet) for the leg / hip-thrust, could not get comfortable the other way round. I managed x10 24KG on the jerk – the first time I have used that beast, other than for Sumo squats.

I incorporated some hanging leg raises / lateral pull-ups – I feel a cheat because I can’t yet manage one vertical pull-up. It WILL happen – I’ve bought the bar, lol

24kg! 😀 The vertical pull up WILL happen Adam – keep working on the negative movement but keep the positive attitude of course 😛

8. Manuel says:

A surprising picture presented in this article, you’re a strong woman, all an athlete, but very feminine, beautiful contrast of light, color and shadow. Worthy of a magazine, congratulations on your work, you are amazing. 🙂

9. Cindy Beverly says:

Marianne,

This was a great workout! Thank you for everything you do! And about that comment that you have gained weight and shows couldn’t be any more further from the truth, hell I was admiring the definition that you have got in your back. You go girl!

Thanks Cindy, been feeling a little water-logged this week 🙁 My back was the best part of me. Going to be checking out your blog btw.

For everyone else – check out Cindy’s Blog.

• Cindy Beverly says:

Thank you so much,that means a lot to me. I want to put out some great content. I’m just beginning! Thank you for your support!

10. Gina says:

Marianne – whatever you are doing these days it is working! You look amazing! This looks like a great workout. I am going to try it over the weekend.
    I would love it if you could do some kind of post about getting stronger. Like how the h*ll did you teach yourself to jerk or press a 20kg bell?! I can clean a 20kg – and not very many times, and getting it overhead is impossible.
    Or do clapping push ups? I’m so afraid of falling on my face. LOL.
    I’d love to know how you developed your strength. 🙂

Hi Gina. Thank you for your comment. People keep telling me I look better – but I am afraid I don’t see it, I am feeling a little bloated 🙁

Over the last few years I have built strength from getting good at the exercises with lighter weights and then increasing the weight gradually. I also have a stubborn, determined and competitive attitude and don’t like to fail – THIS HELPS a lot! Without that determination and competitiveness, I would never strive to lift more. I am not sure if my Jerk is the best yet, but I find it easier with a heavier KB. The heavier KB means I drop down better after the first dip. Anyway, I also think it’s about not letting the weight control you or intimidate you. Like if you evere saw the video where I was pressing the 20kg – When I got to my left side, inside i was thinking “this is going to be harder because my left side is weak” – so I failed. Then I got so mad and determined that it was all in my head and I COULD do it – did 2 reps 😀

However there is a balance to be struck between being competitive with yourself and being wreckless, sometimes it is difficult to taper things back.

I do intend on writing a post on building strength, but in the meantime my friend Kellies Davis had written a post on this HERE which you may find helpful.

The clapping push ups are hard, but the important thing is to keep your core tight and in line the whole time. If you land on your face, at least you don’t have far to fall LOL 😉