Swing Swing Swing

Couplet Routine | Outdoor Summer Workout

Swing Swing Swing

Today, I was going to post my video interview with Jonathan Fass, but I really wanted to bring you all a workout first since it’s been a while.  However, I will post my conversation with Jonathan Fass tomorrow. The topic is something I think everyone (myself included) needs to do more – Critically Think. Without the ability to critically think, we are vulnerable to believing anything and everything we read or hear – especially in the fitness industry … with all those sneaky gurus lurking ;) So I hope our conversation is helpful in understanding a little more about this.  Plus you all get to “meet” my partner in crime :D

This workout was filmed a few weeks ago. I meant to post it at the time, but I think I ended up writing about something else or I had to go work a night shift (oh, how I DON’T miss those times).  Anyway, here it is ;)

You will notice that “exercise of the year” goes to the Single Leg RDL  - When you are without heavier weights, single-leg will add a greater challenge and the best hip hinge strength exercise is the SL RDL.  So, it’s a keeper.  Please start with Bodyweight … balance is tough and it will really get you good at hinging.

Couplet 1

1) Single-Leg Box Squat: 3×10 reps (each side)

2) Single-Leg RDL: 3×10 reps (each side)

Couplet 2

Set your Interval Timer for 4-6 cycles of 15 seconds rest and 45 effort. Complete 2-3 rounds of the following two exercises:

1) Plank Climber

2) Two-Handed KB Swing

Couplet 3

1) Single Arm Row: 3×10 reps (each side)

2) Single-Leg Foot-Elevated Hip Thrust: 3×10 reps (each side)

Finish with:

1) Death Sits (L-Sit): 2xmax hold

2) Farmers Walk: 2×30-45 seconds

Hope you enjoy!

Remember to check back tomorrow to meet Dr Fass for our wee chat :)

Tags: , ,

1. Sarah says:

I really look forward to hearing you and the Fass discuss about “all those sneaky gurus lurking”. LOL.

Lovely workout, thanks for posting it. You look nice with shorter hair. :)

Sarah

2. It’s winter here but this is a great circuit to do in my garage!

Love the SL squats and RDLs…awesome exercises.

Love your work, thank you.

3. Michelle Biggs says:

Hi Marianne! Great workout! I wanted to ask if you’ve been posting your last few videos differently, as they aren’t showing up on an iPad or iPhone. Previous videos are working just fine, but the more recent videos are not.

Thanks!

single leg reverse deadlift, a favorite of mine. good workout. need to give this one a try.
    looking forward to the interview

5. Debbie says:

Fabulous! It was tough but a great challenge. I get so excited each time you post a new one :D

6. Kirsten says:

Hi Marianne!

I have not done any workouts for weeks now, because the summer is so hot in Norway these days. I have been bicycling in the forest and swimming in the fjord, though, which is very nice! But I will do this workout when it gets chillier, because the single leg exercises are my favourites too. I think it gives me a very good stability and balance, which is more important the older you get.

And I want to congratulate you with the great decision you told about earlier this summer, and wish you all the best!

Have a nice summer, kind rgards from Kirsten

7. Nina says:

Hi Marianne! Finally did this workout, using 12kg KB for all weighted exercises. Really LOVED this workout, I will for sure keep it and repeat again soon, gave me a great post workout high :D The L-Sit is SO CHALLENGING, I will try practicing it more often! :))

I did this workout on Tuesday evening with candles outside my back yard in the early evening. really enjoyed it. love the L sit, my mas hold was 5 seconds twice. I forgot how well rounded your workouts are and how satisfied I feel when finished. Please post more.