Coconut Heaven – SuperLoaf!
I’ve been asked quite a lot about what I would recommend for healthy snacks. I’m a real “grazer” by nature so I value snacks above all else but, they have to be tasty! It’s difficult at times to choose a healthy option as “snack” implies a quick bite or something on the go so this can be tricky as it is too easy to pick unhealthy convenient foods.
So what would I advise? The same as everything, health doesn’t happen by accident so the key, is planning. I like to ensure that when I do my weekly shop that I include enough items specifically for snacks. Just be smart and have a variety of flavours, some healthy savory and some healthy sweet snacks so you have no excuse to reach for the crisps or chocolate (unless a couple of squares of dark choc of course ).
As part of my planning, I would sometimes bake this great Coconut Loaf. It is really tasty and really healthy.
Coconut is, in my opinion, nature’s unsung hero! It is one hell of a Superfood which, unfortunately has been subjected to some unfounded, misinformed negative press and politics which has prevented knowledge about it’s many benefits from circulating. Lately there has been loads of research and positive press to try and reverse the damage. I will be doing my part for coconut not only with this recipe, but by posting an article purely on the wonders of Coconut and, more specifically, Coconut Oil.
Anyway, back to the recipe.
- 3/4 cup Coconut Flour (sifted)
- 1/4 cup Wholegrain Flour
- 4 tbsps Coconut Oil (melted)
- 3 tbsps Coconut Cream
- 5-6 medium eggs
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 4 tbsps Honey
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1/2 cup Walnut pieces
- pinch of salt
- Blend eggs, coconut oil, honey, vanilla, coconut cream and salt.
- In a separate bowl prepare coconut flour, wholegrain flour and baking powder, then gradually add to wet ingredients and blend into a smooth batter.
- Turn on blender and gradually add the raisins and walnuts until evenly distributed throughout mixture.
- Pour mixture into a greased loaf tin
- Place in a pre heated oven at 160-170 degrees and cook for 30 -40 mins or until cooked through.
- Leave to cool, slice and serve with coconut oil, honey or on its own. Enjoy.