DSC02367

Booty-Making Home Workout | Kettlebell & Body Weight Glute Training

At last it’s here … the Booty-Making *Gem* Home Workout!

But first a little self-indulgence, as I tell you a story about my butt.

I love it!  ~ The end!

Just kidding – that is the ending alright (loving my booty), but what about at the start? I always liked my butt, it was a nice shape, but it wasn’t a great butt. Four main things have made it a GREAT butt:

1. Glute Activation – making sure that the muscles are actually working!
  2. The right exercises with progressive overload (I got stronger at the best butt exercises)
  3. Conditioning – giving me a healthy body composition
  4. And, a healthier body image – not perfect, but I am learning to love my body.

Here is a picture from 2 years ago when I just started doing my home workouts. I have no other pictures to use as an example of what my butt used to look like. Back then my fitness goal was “get leaner” … Yet, I don’t think my body composition has changed drastically and is probably much the same from the first to the last picture here – My guess is that it has stayed in and around 20%. I never get it tested, but I might have made it as low as 18% at points.  It doesn’t really matter, what matters is the hypertrophy and the strength gains.

Jan 2010 Body Measurements 34-24-34 (inches) BW 55kg (ish) (121 lbs)

Next is a picture taken in April last year – what a difference! What changed? I learned a lot about the importance of glute training and about strength training! I was really starting to see that training for strength was the way to go. And my body even LOOKS better as a result! WIN WIN :)

April 2011 Body Measurements 35 – 26 – 36 (inches) BW 59.5kg (130 lbs)

The final picture was taken yesterday (and is now my profile picture on Facebook – lol).  It’s not just about a better shape; stronger glutes have carry-overs to helping improve performance in every walk of life. I think the difference in 2 years is quite impressive!

Jan 2012 Body Measurements 34 – 26 – 37 (inches) BW 58kg (127.6 lbs)

As much as it pains me a little to say this (as I know he’ll take way too much pleasure in every word of this), but Bret Contreras’s blog has helped a great deal in my butt success. You can find a lot of great information over there along with my Glute Story (A Strong Butt is a Beautiful Butt).

For those of you wanting to know more about all types of training, then “Like” Bret Contreras (Be my Groupie Fitness Page) on Facebook to receive regular updates and recommended reading from other great writers.

Another great resource to Bookmark is Ben Bruno’s Blog. He always has great articles to read and links to many other sources too. This is a great way to save yourself time and know what you are reading is not BS. These resources are not just to do with glute training, but all types of training.

No Prize Competition: If you answer correctly, you get … nothing!

How many times does the word “great” appear in this post? ;)

ANYWAY … on with the workout breakdown.

First, as part of your warm up, here is a Hip Flexor stretch and Glute Activation Drill to help “open” the hips and fire up the glute muscles – which is essential to getting the most out of the workout.

Next, the Workout

There are two sections to this one.  But you don’t have to do both today. I only want to show that the conditioning side of your training (in this interval style) is great for over all fitness, and improving Body Composition.

Section 1

For this section there are 4 couplets. The first exercise of the couplet is based on a set rep-range followed by a set timed exercise. So you will need to set your Gymboss Interval Timer for 1 interval of 30 seconds. Complete 3 rounds of each couplet before moving on.

Remember that you need to get good at the exercises first BEFORE increasing the weight. So for those people new to any of these exercises, use body weight only, a lighter weight, or an easier variation.

Couplet 1

1. Deep Bulgarian Split Squat (right and left leg) x 8 – 15 reps
  2. Two-Handed Kettlebell Swing x 30 seconds

Couplet 2

1. High Deficit Reverse Lunge (right then left) x 8 – 15 reps
  2. X-Band Walks x 30 seconds (if you don’t have a band then you can do the same movement lying on your side. Lift the leg up. Do 20 – 30 seconds each side)

Couplet 3

1. Single-Leg Deadlifts (right then left) x 8 – 15 reps
  2. Lunge Jumps x 30 seconds – eek!

Couplet 4

1. Single-Leg Hip Thrusts (right then left) x 8 – 15 reps – Remember to check out the Progression Tutorial for this.
  2. Alternating KB Swing x 30 seconds

Section 2 – Conditioning

Now the pace increases even further. Re-set your Gymboss Interval Timer for 15 cycles of 15 seconds rest and 45 seconds effort. Complete 3 rounds of the following 5 exercises:

1. Weighted/Un-weighted Evil Jumps – sorry :/
  2. KB Vertical Swing/Pull Burpee
  3. Stand-Kneel-Stand (right)
  4. Stand-Kneel-Stand (left)
  5. Renegade Rows

And there you have it, a killer workout for buns of steel :)  These exercises are not the only ones for getting your butt into shape, but these are great for people who need to get more out of their home training as each exercise is single leg, making the weight you use more of a challenge.

Having Strong, Shapely Glutes not only makes you feel sexier, it really does help with your everyday life. For that reason, Glute Training is a huge part of my life.

Thanks for reading. And feel free to share :)

PS – Remember to “Like” Myomytv’s Facebook Page

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Karyn says:

Just curious….how tall are you? I was reading your measurements and wondered how tall you are. Thanks :) Just finished your workout. My butt is on FIRE!! In a good way!

2. kate_cz says:

Ooooh, my second workout with you and I´m falling in love already. Thank you very much for such a great sweat express delivery directly to my home ;)

3. Lola says:

Howԁy! I know this is κind of off topic but І was wondering if yоu κnew where I could get
    a caρtchа plugin for my cоmment fоrm?

I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m havіng trоuble
    finԁіng оne? Thankѕ a lot!

4. Rasheen says:

You look fantastic!

I will definitely begin incorporating some of those exercises.
    My journey has been similar to yours in that i was always trying to get leaner and trim down to “look” fit (which is foolish i realize since I’ve always been small though not “ripped”)
    Now I’m just focusing on getting stronger and I’m much happier.

Did you consciously eat more to try to gain muscle?
    I want to gain muscle mass especially in my glutes but I’m afraid of force feeding myself into excess body fat gain.

Also, how do you incorporate your home workouts when you’re also lifting at the gym? Would section 1 be considered a strength workout that requires a day off afterwards?

Rasheen,

Glad you are finding the strength training to have the same effect for your goals.

I never need to consciously eat more LOL, it just happens! I have the opposite issue, and I always think I eat too much! But I have not gained much body fat or “bulk”, I seem to stay much the same, while getting stronger.

I don’t think anyone should force feed themselves – just choose more nutrient-dense foods that give you more bang for your buck.

Regarding the workout schedule, I try to train at total of 4 or 5 times per week: in the gym 2-3 times per week, and at home (conditioning stuff) 2-3 times per week. Section 1 would be considered a strength workout, but whether you take a day off after, is not set in stone; this should be a decision you make, based on how well you recover :)

Hope this helps.

• Rasheen says:

Yes, that helped :) I’ll experiment with strength training more often and see how my recovery goes…maybe that’ll kick start some mass gain.

Thanks for the reply Marianne!

5. sarah says:

Hi there I love your results!! i naturally have large hips and buttocks I want to just add shape to the part where the buttocks creases into the thigh i was guessing which ones are best for that.. also, as you use your arms and shoulders a lot i’m worried that i will get a bigger Trapezius muscle-the muscle that connects our neck to your shoulder. Has your ones grown have you got a picture face on ?

All these exercises are some of the best. You can’t just do one exercise for the glutes, because they have so many “parts”. Best to use a variety of exercises and progress your strength at them and “attack” from all angles. Bodyfat will also affect how this area looks, but bodyfat should reduce as you progress in strength (provided you’re not going overboard on calories).

As for Traps. None of these exercises developed my Traps much – it was more the heavy deadlifts. However, my traps aren’t too big. Don’t avoid certain exercises, or heavy lifting out of a fear something MIGHT happen. If you think your traps are growing too much, then stop those movements. If you never start them, then you will never get the many benefits of the exercises :)

What is a “Picture face”?

6. Susy says:

I have been working out to your part 1 for a month now. I am doing them along with Body Rock videos too. I started off as a 30-day challenge with BR and also wanting to lift my bootie, since i’ve always had a small one. I am thin, and never had a lot of definition, so now that i’ve been working out for a month straight, i am amazed at what i have done to my body. Needless to say, i am grateful to have gotten stronger and thankful that you have these amazing workouts! I haven’t gotten to the conditioning section yet…im beat by the time i finish the first section. I am hoping i will be able to do it, in a month or two! ;-) The BR 30-day challenge is over, but i am still working out, pretty much everyday (even if it’s not BR workouts, it’s Yoga or something)

I wanted to ask you, how often should i do your workouts, per week? Your reply will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks for what you do!

Hi Susy,

Thanks for getting in touch and for your feedback on this workout.

Given the information you have provided, here is my advice for you. Exercising every day may hinder your results (since you are thin and you wish to gain more definition). For this to happen you need to shift to a focus on gain a bit more muscle (which requires more rest, lower intensity and a good diet support ie: more, not less calories). Trust me, that a switch to getting progressively stronger will shape your body in a way you will be very happy with. This means, with your strength workouts, try to beat your reps or increase the weights each week by doing the same workouts for 4 weeks at a time.

I would advise, 3 full body strength workouts from my site and then 1 or 2 conditioning sessions (either from here or elsewhere). The training must be balanced (see this article to read my advice on this subject) and you need to be careful to feed your body, not starve it.

I train 3 or 4 times per week (2 or 3 strength and 1 or 2 conditioning) and I eat a lot! This keeps me strong and defined.

Hope this helps :)

• Susy says:

Thank you for replying Marianne! I will read your article. Regarding conditioning, I was planning on using section 2 for that. do you have another somewhere in your site?

Have a great day!

Hi Susy, yes, I have LOADS! :D Go to the workout tab and select either the “conditioning” list or the “Mix N Match”. Plenty to choose from :)

• Susy says:

Thank you Marianne! you rock! :-D

• Erica says:

The second video showing all the sequences should be performed how many times per week? I already do high – intensity interval training 2 x per weeek, Run 2 x per week.TRX 2 x per week. And weight lift 4-5 x per week. I really want a bigger butt. Mine looks just like your in the first before picture.Please help!

Erica,

Honestly, I think you are doing WAY too much to ever build a booty. In order to build glutes, you need to focus your training on progressive overload and maximising recovery. You are doing too much training and too much cardio.

You need to prioritise strength training and lifting progressively heavier weights, along with a little conditioning. A good system is to have 3 full body strength workouts per week and 1 or 2 SHORT (like 15mins) conditioning workouts.

My other site, Get Glutes would be perfect for you! It’s $19.95 per month and you get a full program every months with videos, and loads of information and help from the 3 coaches (me, Bret Contreras and Kellie Davis). Have a look at the site and think about it.

7. juju says:

I have a hard time building my glute muscles and I’m always confused about the rep range!

Is lower reps actually better than higher reps in terms of actually shaping your body?

I do 15 reps- 3 sets usually on any exercise with a low weight of 3-5 kgs that I’m hoping to increase gradually..

Looking forward to your reply!

Juju, sorry for the delay.

A mix of rep ranges is best for the glutes and a variety of exercises. You need to do a squat or lunge, a hip hinge exercise, a bridging exercise and a glute accessory exercise (like X-band walks or seat band abduction). You need to work with some days going heavier with less reps and other days going the opposite. I personally find that I will go heavier on squats and lunges, but lighter in bridges and this works well for me :)

8. cr says:

Hey!
    Thanks for the exercises! I get scared just by thinking but I really wanna give it a try!
    But I kinda need some help here…
    In section 1, do you rest between each round of each couplet, or between couplets, or do you not rest at all untill you finish all the couplets?
    If we workout, say, 3 times a week, would you recomend doing the section 1 on the first day then rest 1 day (or so), do the section 2, rest another day, and finally do the section 1 again?
    Thank you so much!