_MG_4309

Barbell Strength Workout | Lower Body Focus and Conditioning Bonus

When my cold lifted, I decided to try a different style of workout. While I focused on the lower body more, I still made sure to create a workout that has me moving in all directions and maintain that balance between muscle groups.

To make it more intense, I dotted conditioning exercises between each strength exercise.  Not only did this change the pace of things, but it made the workout fly by because I was having more fun!

This week, I also got to see some of the photos from my recent photo-shoot…

Thought I’d write about the experience in a new post :)  It was an eye-opener! Stay tuned for that!

Anyway, back to today.

Complete the following sequence:

1) High Deficit Reverse Lunge: 3×8-12 reps (each leg)

- Bench Jump-Overs: 1×45 secs

2) Barbell RDL: 3×8-12 reps

- Burpees: 1×45 secs

3) Barbell Hip Thrusts: 3×8-12 reps

- Skater Hops: 1×45 secs

4) Seated Band Abduction: 2×15-20 reps

Then I set my Gymboss Interval Timer  for 4 cycles (feel free to do more) of 15 seconds rest and 45 effort. I did 2 rounds of the following circuit:

•  Two-Handed KB Swing
  • Plank Climber

Workout Complete!

I’ll be back soon, with my Photo-shoot story :)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Tommy Dowd says:

I think we have discussed this before but I noticed you do your kettle bell swings differently than what I was taught (not saying its wrong just different) Yours more resemble a roman dead lift action where as I have always thought it should more resemble a clean action. In other words you engage your glutes and hams with little knee movement while mine has more knee flex and hip thrust with only a slight hinge at the hip… Just an observation and wondering if there are different methods being taught out there. I can see the reasoning and benefit of both methods. Your thoughts?

Tommy, the hip hinge swing is best IMO. Simply because it develops posterior chain strength and power. The quad dominant swing, just build quad endurance. We have the squat for that.

Neither is wrong, I just think people need to master the hip hinge in general, so I always teach that variation.

2. Heidi says:

Are you filming at your new place Marianne? What’s the story behind it?

No story, Heidi, it’s just a new place. I had to move house, so I don’t have room to train at home. Now I can do all my PT at the new place too :)

3. Kirsten says:

Nice workout, Marianne! I think I will do this one today, exept that I will use a heavy kettlebell instead of a barbell (which I don’t have), and I think I will skip the burpees and skater hops.

Can I make a suggestion? I think it would be great if one day you could make a video with more Jungle gym exercises. I love my Jungle gym, but I believe that I don’t use the full potential of it (can one put it that way, it sounded a bit odd…).

I hope you are recovering from your cold. Have a nice day, and thanks again.

Kind regards from Kirsten

I am so jealous of your gym. what weights are you using? another great workout. I went cross country skiing and my whole body is sore as soon as my muscles chill I will give this one a go.
    the photo above of your back is such an amazing motivator.

5. chrysta says:

love this workout!

6. Sarah says:

Hi Mariannina,

great workout and nice variety.

Now that you’ve moved to the new studio that has a very dark floor, I think you should try and always wear lighter colours (for your pants) because it’s really hard to see what you are doing. So I think you should either get yourself a lighter mat for the floor or wear lighter colours.

Sarah

I had some energy left after a long day at work so decided to jump into this one. I made some changes since I don’t have all of the equipment.

1) High Deficit Reverse Lunge: 3×8 2 8kg reps (each leg)

skip rope 1 minute

2) 2 16kg KB RDL: 3×10 reps

Burpees:1 minute

3) one leg raised Hip Thrusts: 3×10 reps

mountain climbers 1 minute

4) side lunge with kb each side 10 with 8kg the last 2 rounds 5 with 12kg

2 pull ups
    on the deadlifts I feel like I can push more weight, although I was careful not to over do it since my legs were still a bit sore from skiing.

I have been doing ashtanga yoga in the morning, don’t have a lot of time but I get at leas 25 minutes in. it really helps with soreness of the muscles.
    I am running this evening so that is why I didn’t do the cardio.

8. Kirsten says:

Hi again Marianne!Just wanted to say I am glad you are back today! It was a mystery what happened yesterday, but obviously your web person has fixed it :-)
    Cheers, Kirsten

9. Amelie says:

Thank you for incorporating some of your barbell work into this video. I hope there is more to follow!

Cheers!

10. Tracey says:

I just got a chance to watch this, great & informative!! I love the option of having a “lower body day”. I also love the addition of the conditioning exercises. Pretty please put in your weights for the exercises as that really helps me know where to gauge what weight to be using. BTW: Can you do a similar upper split? Thanks again for such a great workout!!

11. Tracey says:

Oh, and one more thing..how many seconds (or mins) to you rest between sets?

12. letissier says:

Hello Mariane,

i discovered your web tv today and it is very interesting! i m very impressed by your fitness, you are very strong; and your last photos are very beautiful;

as for me, i practice a mix of bodyweight, band training, kettlebell, yoga, running and swimming;

and i m very fond of automassage, good posture, stretching and flexibility;

i wanted to know what is your program in stretching during your week, how many times, how long time

i ask you coz i saw your left shoulder and collarbone are higher tha the right ones; did you notice that? are you agree with that?

Hadn’t noticed before. I don’t think that anyone is symmetrical, or that all asymmetries are bad. I do more stretching now than ever, and I don’t have any problems with my shoulders. It’s probably nothing :)

13. letissier says:

thanks for your answer Marianne; i noticed that coz i had the same asymetry before and with specific stretching i erased it;
    In my case my right obliques were stiffer than the left ones
    and my left traps, scalenes and sternocleidomastoid stiffer than the right ones; that’s why my left shoulder was going upper than the right. that’s true it’s nothing, but maybe it’s more functional when it’s aligned; and it reduces tensions on vertebral column when forces applied on it are quite equal on both sides ;
    thank you for your tv it’s very motivating